Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Job interview and more

I had a good job interview yesterday. "YES!" I felt confident in my answers and walked away feeling like I could really bring something to the table. I didn't feel like I was stretching for answers and if the discussion goes to the next step, I think I would really like it. Would I want to make the daily commute to Nashville again? It might be worth it. Unlike the offer I had last week, I think that I could naturally fit into the company, the job position and take it on full force. Now, it's just that awful "waiting" period. The dreaded time where you wait anxiously to find out if they think you are the perfect fit. The dreaded time where they interview other candidates and you feel nervous being compared to others. You all know the feeling I'm talking about!

Anyways, never did I think that while being unemployed that I would find myself with little free time. It's surprising. I made the vow to myself that while I didn't have a job, I would be the perfect homemaker. There is no reason why the laundry shouldn't be caught up, the dishes always clean and everything picked up. I did really well at first. I even reorganized the pantry and cleaned out the fridge. Now, it's getting harder. I was telling this to a friend yesterday and she made me realize that when everyone is working, the house doesn't get "lived in." Therefore, you aren't making a mess or moving things around on an hourly basis. Think about it, it makes sense. You say, maybe I should be cleaning rather than blogging at this moment? Hmm.. I haven't cleaned the oven yet and it needs it. But the catch is that I like writing on here. It makes me feel connected to the outside world, still, and not feeling cramped up in my 1050 sq.foot home.

I also made the resolution earlier this year to hit the gym at least 5x a week and I'm doing pretty good so far. I've been twice already this week. This isn't a hard thing for me to aim for since I was already going about that much. It's really a maintence resolution. Monday I had to hold back because I felt the most excruciating back pain ever. I've been sore since I went to Hilton Head the week of Christmas. It might have started from a previous work-out, the long car ride, the awful guest bed...but after two weeks of discomfort, it just wasn't gettting better. I was still going to the gym though. (hint hint, I'm kind of hard-core. In fact, I have a friend who likes to call me a gym rat. Boo.) I did a leg workout, which combined with the back, put me out of order. I was laid up all weekend watching Season 3 of The Office. So, now that the back doctor has given me an anti-inflammatory we are now back in business. Spin class was good and challenging this morning and I'm looking forward to strength training tomorrow. Part of my enthusiasm comes from encouraging news I got yesterday. My personal trainer has a measure day every 8 weeks. We go over everything with a tape measure, do the skin pinchers and the hop on the scale to see the progress. Ever since I started training, the tape measure stuff remained consistent, the skinfolds have decreased, but what?? Why does weight keeps going up? I know there are myths about gaining muscle...blah blah...but still it hurts the ego. You feel like you are doing everything right, but seeing no progress. It's just my body and it's not working the way it should. Anyways, we did the measurements yesterday and I actually saw a decrease in numbers all around. FINALLY! It made me feel great about not giving up. I plowed through the frustrations and kept moving forward. It was also nice to know that I lost weight over the holiday season, rather than gaining. I've got a refreshed attitude about the gym now and am hopeful about things. I know that getting my blood sugar under control has been a big part of this too. I'm eating better and am working on the "eat more vegetables" resolution.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Woohoo on all accounts!

Carl said...

Hello from another McCaskey. I am certain we're not related but there aren't many McCaskeys with blogs. I think you and I may be the only ones.