Monday, March 3, 2008

Royal Family Special

There is a program on tonight on ABC that I am really looking forward to. It's a Barbara Walters special that shows the behind-the-scenes look at the Royal Family. Now, if anybody knows me, they can tell you that I am a huge fan of the UK; the history, the Royal family, the music and lifestyle. I lived there with a 6 month work visa and would move back in a heartbeat, if I could. So, when programs like this pop up, you know my Tivo is set. They say that one of the big things you take away from this special is a better understanding at how hard the Royal family works.
One of the big questions floating out there right now is all the extra expense to protect Prince Harry worth the risk of sending him out to war? Critics say that the manpower and cost to protect him doesn't prove it to be worthwhile. In my opinion, I am going to defend the handsome Prince and say that I respect him doing so. Coming from such an elaborate background, he chooses to go and serve in the military and defend his country. Some believe that it's a PR stunt to help turn around his party boy image, but I don't think that they would send him out, risking his life to do so. I think, even though he has protection, being out there on the front lines helps make him feel more of a common man. But it does raise the important question they are asking. Does it put an increased target on the men beside him? Should he be finding other ways to serve his country?

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I love The Royal Family. England is on my list of places to visit someday.

Princess Diana died on my 1st wedding anniversary. As my husband was trying to pull me out the door to go dinner, all I wanted to do was watch the news coverage. I was heartbroken when they announced she was gone.

Her sons have grown up to be extraordinary, good-looking men! I cannot wait to watch the special tonight.