Saturday, April 19, 2008

It's just a flip flop

Skye and I have a new 9 week old puppy. We named him Henri (with an "i"), but his name was actually inspired by King Henry. I've actually been reading a lot about English History, so the name just came to me instantly. The spelling we chose just seemed more "puppy-like." We thought we had been doing really well crate training him. He's been a good dog, more than a bad dog, doing his business, but today we had to get a little strict. We had to put him in time-out twice in the bathroom. Once for doing #2 in the corner of the living room and then also for destroying my most favorite flip flop. I know, I know, puppies tear up things and we all know that dogs love to bite on shoes. It's my fault for leaving them out, but it was out of shear laziness because I need quick shoes to let him out all the time. But these flip flops are special. I got those flip flops on one of the last shopping trips my mom and I ever took together. I remember her every time I slip them on because she wanted to buy the matching purse, but thought it was crazy because she knew she had medical bills. I tried urging her to buy it because if it made her feel good...why not? If you have to put yourself through chemotherapy, you deserve a break. Note to self...they are only flip flops, but it just made me miss her today. I admit I shed a small tear, and then went and hugged my puppy. Henri is still a cool pup.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, puppies. Luckily Duke hasn't gone after my shoes, but unfortunately he's more into the boys toys. We've lost a few wood blocks, and some of Tucker's Little People.

It sounds like you're doing a great job with crate training. We've had a harder time with Duke than we did Annie, I think just because it's harder to be consistent when you have two kids and two dogs. Once he gets used to outside as his "spot" you'll be golden.