Tuesday, October 23, 2007

USB Extras on Albums

So, I was reading the Digital Music News this morning and they had a brief excerpt that I have copied below.

"The digital download - and other forms of digital music distribution - are quickly replacing the disc, yet novel, next-generation physical experiments are starting to emerge. Among them is the USB flash drive, an ubiquitous method for quickly storing and transferring data between computers. Just recently, Atlantic Records artists Matchbox Twenty started selling their latest album, Exile on Mainstream, in USB form. The drive, which includes a number of multimedia extras, is being positioned exclusively at Best Buy for $35."

I think this is kind of a cool idea, but $35 seems a little steep. I don't have that much money to fork over to an album that isn't a box set. Those "media extras" would have to be extra cool. Are these extras something that can't be put on an enhanced CD? What is the goal? Trying to save space? Allow more content to be distributed? I'm intrigued though and I think I might head over to Best Buy to see what the fuss is about. I'd like to see how it's packaged, because I am a design snob. Although I am a digital consumer, for those albums I am wanting to pay that much money for, I want packaging, cool art...the whole shabang.

No comments: